LUTHERAN CHURCH - MISSOURI SYNOD
739 19th St. SE; Paris, TX 75460 903-784-3753
In November of 1942 the Rev. G.C. Albers, who was serving two Lutheran congregations: St. James in Honey Grove, TX and St. John's in Clarksville, TX, called attention to the fact that there were several Lutheran Army Officers living in the Paris, TX area and that a mission should be opened there to serve the needs of these Lutheran Christians. On February 4, 1945, Rev. Albers was granted permission to begin a mission in Paris, TX.
The Mission Board of the Texas District (LC-MS) combined the Paris, TX mission with the congregation in Clarksville, TX and a pastoral candidate; the Rev. John H. Geisler, was called from the St. Louis Seminary. Rev. Geisler arrived in Paris in September of 1946 and the first Lutheran worship service was held in the home of A.H. Karcher on September 29, 1946. Following this initial worship service, worship services were conducted in the music room of the Paris High School for the next two years.
In January 1947 the congregation organized with 28 baptized members and the name Grace Lutheran Church was officially adopted along with their constitution. They were officially received into the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod on June 8, 1948.
In anticipation of their reception into the LC-MS, the congregation purchased a lot in February, 1948 on 19th street SE, Paris, TX (the present site of the church) and on March 12, 1950 the original church building was dedicated.
Beginning with 27 members the congregation grew over the years and the decision was made to construct a new worship facility. After surveying numerous sites in the Paris, TX area it was decided to purchase an adjoining lot on which to construct the new building, and in May 2004 the congregation held a ground breaking ceremony beginning construction. The new worship facility was dedicated on March 20, 2005.
Grace Lutheran Church is a congregation of people with diverse back-grounds, desiring to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ in word and deed to our community and to the world. Grace is well known in Paris for its presentation of the “Living Nativity”—a live performance of the Christmas story by members of the congregation, complete with settings, props, and live animals--which Grace began presenting in 1956 and continues as a Christian witness each year.
Grace Lutheran Church
1942 to Today